Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Simon Says..........Father's Day/Masculine

wed-newchallenge-header

It's the first Wednesday in June, and time for another challenge at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!  

Simon Wednesday Challenge Blog

Our theme this week is Father's Day or Masculine creations.  And the design team are using Ranger products.  Here's my first card for today.


supplies: Hero Arts Silhouette Grass, distress inks: mustard seed, wild honey, salty ocean, peacock feathers, and antique linen

I stamped the grass silhouette in brown ink and embossed it in clear embossing powder, then masked off a circle to sponge in my sun colors, then filled in the rest of the card with the sky, sea and sand.  I trimmed the inked panel, framed it with a dark brown cardstock, and added it to a kraft card base.  My sentiment was trimmed into a banner and popped above the card.

For my 2nd card I used an embossing folder as a kind of stencil to make my design.


supplies: white and Faded Jeans cardstock, argyle embossing folder, faded jeans and peeled paint distress markers, SSS Happy Birthday die

I laid down color from the markers on the side of the folder that normally would push the paper upwards when embossed.  Using markers allowed me to get in these tiny areas with more than 1 color.  Next I spritzed the inked folder pretty liberally, until the inks beaded up, then pressed a piece of regular cardstock down and pressed all around until I could see that the inks had absorbed into the paper.  There are a few splatters here and there, which I think just add to the charm of this technique.  I have really been enjoying this technique and it gives us another use for all those embossing folders!

Now it's your turn!  We have a $50.00 gift voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store for a random winner of our challenge!

 50dollar_voucher_600px

Simon Says Stamp




22 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Beautiful cards Lin,love those wispy tall grasses!

Barb said...

The grass stamp is timeless, isn't it? Such a perfect Father's Day card, Lin - beautiful masking! And oh, do I ever love your argyle card! That technique turned out amazing! Awesome color combo too! ♥

Jingle said...

These are fantastic, Lin! That first one is just beautiful!

snappy scrappy said...

These are both gorgeous love the argyle water colour...but the first one is my fav, Beautiful!!!!

Stephanie said...

Love the serene scene in the first card and the 2nd one is lovely for a man too!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Susanne Vargas said...

Great cards! Love the background on the first one! Still haven't tried the "stamping" with an embossing folder but really want to!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love both cards, Lin, but that shading & masking with the grasses really resonated! Beautiful!!

Karin Åkesdotter said...

WOW!!! These are both PERFECT!!!!! Such perfect male cards!!!

Dawn T said...

These are really beautifully done Lin. I struggle with masculine card ~ you've rock them here. Lots of inspiring cards on the blog.

Theresa's Studio said...

Beautiful Father's Day cards. Love them both...great designs and colors!

Clare said...

These are such amazing masculine cards! I love the inking of the first card, but wow! I LOVE the background you created for the second card! Such a cool pattern!

Linda Kunsman said...

I love the serenity and peacefulness of the first card and the harlequin background on the second one is wonderful!

jintyoo7 said...

Amazing cards, Lin -both are beautifully done (the grass card is beautiful, I can almost hear the waves) :)

Robin K. said...

That HA silhouette grass stamp really is a classic- love how you created the bg for it! And how cool is the inked harlequin bg!!!

Teresa Kline said...

hi Lin! this is a gorgeous card, perfect for Dad. hope you have a wonderful weekend!

sparkle & shine *~*

Cindy Groh said...

Love your cards

Melissa Bove said...

Fabulous cards Lin!! Great designs!!

hugs...

Rubycat said...

I am sooo loving the embossing folder technique - I haven't seen it before and I have often tried to think of other ways to use my folders. Thanks for this wonderful inspiration.

Lorraine A said...

Fabulous cards Lin :-) I especially LOVE the first one,, the colours and simple design are perfect ! Love the stencil design on the 2nd one too,, gorgeous :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Carol L said...

What a great pair of masculine cards! I love the soft look of the first one! Great colors and a fabulous scene, and what man doesn't like argyle? NJ on both!

Calypso said...

Great masculine cards... and I may have to case your first card. Love for shiloutte image in brown. Your second card is also a great looking card. May have to try it soon. Thanks for coming by and visiting me today. ;)

Karen Dunbrook said...

wonderfully done for F-day Lin...