Saturday, December 1, 2012

Black and White and a Splash of ...... Maroon

If you want to see my card for The Craft's Meow sketch challenge for November, please click HERE.

My favorite challenges at The Play Date Cafe are their "color splash" ones!  This week we're to use a splash of maroon.


I had this Stampendous Snowy Postcard cling stamp out on my desk, and thought it would be perfect for the challenge.


I stamped and clear embossed the image on white cardstock, then did some shading with Aged Mahogany distress ink and a rhubarb stalk Memento marker.  The holly leaves were colored in lightly, and I used a glue pen to apply the chunky Twinklets Diamond Dust (thanks, Carol!) on the roofs and along the ground and fence line, some red gems for holly berries and some snowflakes punched from the same cardstock that I used as the card base.  I wish you could see the almost 2nd layer of glitter - it adds a lovely subtle dimension.  

Every time I use this stamp I like it better!  Thanks, PDCC, for getting me to use this color, it's one I probably would never have tried with this stamp!

16 comments:

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Beautiful snowy scene!

Kath Stewart said...

wow this is one gorgeous card and like you I never would have used that colour but I'm converted...love the texture on the roofs...hugs kath xxx

Caroline said...

WOW this is gorgeous I love the image and the layout is beautiful. Caroline xxx

Rachel said...

this is a wonderful scene. it makes me wanna curl up by a fireplace in the middle of the woods. bee-a-you-tee-full! Thanks for joining us in the Play Date Cafe!
-Rachel w k
rwkrafts.blogspot.com

CinnamonSally said...

Wow fabulous and vintage, love it Lin!

Leni said...

Gorgeous card! Love the snow at the roofs!

MarcyK924 said...

OMG - I saw this challenge and it SCREAMED your name! This card is STUNNINGLY gorgeous! Love your use of color, layering, and texture, Lin! xoxo

Arlene said...

I can see why you like this stamp. Sometimes an image just captures your heart and your mind. Love the card with all that glttery goodness.

Dawn T said...

This is just beautiful Lin. It is just the perfect fit for having the splash of maroon. Plus all that glittery goodness.

Donna B. said...

Gorgeous card Lin! Love the dimension and your splash of Maroon! Thanks so much for playing at The Play Date Cafe.

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

FABULOUS Vintage Christmas card! LOVE all your beautiful details - just wonderful!

Pam said...

Gorgeous card! I just got this stamp, and can't wait to use it now.

Jen Cuthbertson said...

What a lovely holiday scene and I just love the snow you created! Great take on the color splash this week and I'm so glad you could join us at PDCC!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

This is so pretty, I love it.

Larissa Heskett said...

Such a BEAUTIFUL CARD!! =) Love your take on the challenge!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

Melinda Gleissner said...

LOVE this Snowy Postcard against red. You have inspired me! Thank you.