Monday, July 7, 2014

Virginia's View: Die Cuts

Our theme this month at Virginia's View is die cuts.  I decided to use one of my newest ones, and I think one of my prettiest ones, to make a card for Virginia's challenge.


Isn't this Gorgeous Gardenia Outline die lovely?  Last time I used it I had a kind of stained-glass effect with a black outline, and then meticulously added back in all those tiny little pieces of the flowers and leaves - lots of work.  This time I'm using an idea by Jules I found on Pinterest.  I used the negative of the die cut to act as a mask over watercolor paper so that I could paint in the details with worn lipstick and peeled paint distress inks, mixed with water.  I went back in and added some darker areas with my distress markers in the same colors.  After it was dry, I cut it out, and then glued my gardenia die-cut on top.  I love this effect!  While my worn lipstick diluted ink was still on my acrylic block, I picked up some with a fine brush and splattered it over the card front.  Then I stamped my Technique Tuesday sentiment in charcoal ink, popped my die-cut up, and added some sequins.

........and then, I thought, why not try the same idea, except use some pretty printed papers?  Die-cut piecing, if you will!  So for this next card I pulled out a piece of 12" cardstock that I recently fell in love with (it reminds me of quilting fabric when I used to quilt) and pulled my colors from it.  Here's how that ended up:


supplies: Crate Paper's Dainty Darling from their Oh Darling collection, a green and a pink BoBunny double dot paper, Memory Box's Gorgeous Gardenia Outline die, Nesties Scalloped Oval die, Winnie & Walter's The Big, the Bold, and the Extras (banner) and The Big, the Bold, and the Happy (sentiment inside banner)

Which one do you prefer?

19 comments:

stampingandstitching said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous cards, Lin! The flower die is so pretty and I love the way you used it in two completely different ways! I can't seem to pin at the moment so I'll be back later, hopefully it will work for me then!

Hannelie said...

Wow! 2 amazing cards Lin! Love that outline die cut... it adds a great touch!

Theresa's Studio said...

Beautiful cards, Lin! Your creations are so lovely.

Lisa Elton said...

Love the painted look on your first card and the SWEET DP on your second, these are WONDERFUL Lin!

Sue McRae said...

Both cards are lovely but I'm partial to the first card with the pretty watercolouring, splatters and sequins!

Julie B said...

I love the paper pieced one, it looks like patchwork. Thanks for sharing the link to my blog. So pleased to have inspired you. :)

Cat Craig said...

Lin both cards are wonderful. Love the outline flower dies, they are so versatile.

Brenda said...

Oh what a beautiful die Lin! I adore both versions but there is just something about watercolour! Gorgeous!

Sarah G said...

Gorgeous cards, Lin.....I think I might just have to get that lovely, delicate die! Love the watercolours and splatters on your first card and combination of patterns on your second :)

Barb Ghig said...

Two really stunning cards, Lin! I love how you offered 2 versions, and both are really lovely! I may have to put this die on my wishlist after seeing these beauties!

Susan Joyce said...

Your cards are stunning Lin, simply beautiful!

Dawn T said...

Just seen this Lin... we certainly did have the same thought in mind... but have to say yours are much better than mine. I'm impressed with you added the pieces all back in.

Karen Dunbrook said...

....love.....

Penny Ward said...

Holy cow Lin...you just do flowers so well. I love the watercolor flowers card the best and you have enabled me to put that die cut on my wish list. :)

Virginia L. said...

Wow wow wow! Love these two gorgeous card, Lin! My favorite is the first one, it's probably because it has more "drama"!! Love the colors, shades, splatter, placement of sequins and white space...SWOON! So glad that you join the fun over Virginia's View challenge!

Susie said...

Both are soft and gorgeous.

maria f. said...

Oh so pretty Lin. I love the watercolor version. And I've loved that die forever - maybe I have to actually get it now that I've heard your use of it.

Greta said...

Came to see what Bonnie cased & now I see why! Gorgeous dies & cards, Lin! The first is my favorite! I'm dense, but can't figure out how you die cut the background & kept it in one piece. I've been wishing I could do that with EH Big Bloom dies. Have a great week, Greta

Lin said...

Greta, use the die-cut to lightly trace around whatever you want to back it with, cut out that shape, and then glue the die-cut to it. Hope that helps?