Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Glitter cards

The challenge this week at the Hero Arts Blog is to use glitter on a project. I have used it here and there, just to highlight an edge, but never as a main part of the design. I had no idea of the dimension that is achieved; it's almost like applique or flocking! Here is a card I made today:




I stamped the main image in a tri-color ink, then colored in most of the flowers with pink, orange, and yellow colored pencils. Then I went over each flower with a fine-point glue pen, dipping the panel into glitter while the glue was still wet. After everything had dried well, I used double-stick tape to go all around the white edges, and then dipped the whole thing again in glitter. Then I just mounted it on an aqua card and added orange gemstones to the centers of the flowers.

And here's another card, this time the dark pink glitter is used only as an accent on the butterfly and in the flourish below it.

18 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh wow, this is one gorgeous card. You make it look so effortless, but I'm not fooled. You have amazing artistic talent!

Anette H said...

Congratulations on your new blog, Lin!! Beautiful, glittery card today!!!

Jackie said...

I love your new blog! I've seen your work in the Hero Arts Flickr Group and I'm so glad you have a blog now. This card is awesome!

Virginia L. said...

This card ROCKS, Lin! A brand new glittery and shiny card for a brand new blog!!

Linda aka Oz said...

such a pretty take on the glitter challenge. Lovely work. Oz

Kathy said...

I am so loving your glitter cards Lin...and woa you are getting fancy with the blog...looks like you have some things to teach me!! Hugs Sista

Cindy Groh said...

Beautiful cards. Love the sparkle each of them has.

Vanessa said...

Oh, Lin, you have a blog now!! Love your sparkling creations, so beautiful! I planned to use the flower shilouette, too, but wasn`t satisfied with my results yet...

Hugs,
Vanessa

Jacqueline said...

Just saw this on the flickr gallery - gorgeous! Not used to you using these colors but they look so good!

lynda said...

Hi Lin,
Awesome blog! I'm looking forward to returning to see more of your inspiration. Great cards!

Pia said...

Beautiful cards, Lin! I am glad you entered the blog world. WOW and I just had a look at your fabulous quilts! Amazing just as your cards!

Tracey said...

WOW!!! AMAZING glitter cards Lin!!! Love your new header pic and title!!

Kath Stewart said...

loving the blog and those gorgeous glitter cards....hugs kath xxxx

Unknown said...

Beautiful cards, Lin! Good luck with your new blog - looks fabulous!!!

Deborah (aka Gigi 001)

CinnamonSally said...

Stunning cards and congrats on starting a blog. I always love your cards on flickr so look forward to following your blog.

Alice said...

Welcome to the Blogland, Lin!! so glad to find your blog!! this card is so beautiful! lovely soft colors! I LOVE your beautiful header!! I am looking forward to your next post!!

Sue McRae said...

Love the softness to this card Lin! Please stop by my blog for an award!

Kathy (krolski) said...

I just love your card! So pretty Lin! Congrats on your new blog too!