Monday, November 9, 2009

Quilts

Before I made cards, I was a quilter......I say "was" because, since cardmaking came into my life about 5 years ago, there has been very little quilting around here. (I should really change my Hero/Flickr nickname, but I can't think of anything better.) But I still love the idea of quilting, linking us to past generations, making something that is actually useful, and being able to indulge my love of color. And there is NOTHING better on a cold evening than snuggling up under a cozy quilt with a cup of hot chocolate!!

Actually, quilting and card-making are very similar; you start with whole pieces of fabric or paper, cut them into small pieces, and then reassemble them into something more pleasing.

I first fell into crafting generally in my senior year of college, when I needed some fluff credits to round out my last semester. I chose an arts and crafts class and made a crewel picture. That was the very first time I was exposed to crafts and since then, I have done counted cross-stitch (until my eyes couldn't take the close work anymore, and the cost of framing become too much), then moved into quilting.

There is absolutely no history of quilting in my family, so I took a beginnner's quilting class at my local quilt shop; we made a lap-size quilt from start to finish, all hand done. I have continued that in most of my quilts, only using a sewing machine to sew on the binding. I was so enamored of this art and all the history that goes with it, that I started making doll quilts and selling them through a local shop. Most of them were about 2 feet square, so I could try out different patterns and color combinations with a minimum of time expended. Most of the quilts in my home are these little ones, covering table tops, hanging on walls. It has only been since about 1997 when I started making bigger ones. Most of those are twin-sized.......have yet to make a queen-size for our bed, and now I wonder if I ever will!

So, here are 3 of my creations that I am pleased to show you. This first one was a pattern from a miniature quilt magazine that I adapted in my own colors. If you haven't noticed yet, I love blue, so my fabric stash in that color is huge. And I've always liked it paired with yellow. So here is an example of one of my doll quilts. It is about 15 inches square. Click on any of the pictures for a closer look.



And here is one of my bigger ones. It was made to match a store-bought quilt which is in a bedroom with 2 twin beds, thus the need for a second one. It uses 2 more of my favorite colors, pink and green. And it shows off some of my hand-quilting, the feather wreaths in the big blocks.




The other thing you need to know about my way of quilting is that I can NEVER use the same 4 or 5 fabrics over and over again; there has to be more like 20 or 30 different fabrics. That way I never get bored! So for my final example here is a throw-size quilt to show you how many blues I have in my collection. It is about 48 inches square, made in 1997, my own interpretation of a Little Quilts pattern. The center panel is a Bearpaw block, but that's another story for another time.




12 comments:

Linda aka Oz said...

Lin your quilts are so amazing. I know from experience how much time and love it takes to craft a masterpiece such as these and yours show and glow! I have always been and huge fan of your work, you cards, quilts and your comments! Now I can add your blog to the list. I hope we both enjoy this journey as we have both held back on starting it for the same reasons! Hugs to you my dear Lin, Linda

Tiffany Ervin said...

Gorgeous quilts Lin, and who knows, you may find the time to quilt once again as I know they require a lot more time than cards do! ;) So glad you have a blog now, the colors are gorgeous and it certainly has the 'Lin' flair and essence of beauty!

Virginia L. said...

Aren't you a GREAT blogger after becoming a fabulous card-maker and quilter!!! This is such a FANTASTIC place to see your quilts in your very own blog! I feel so at home :)

Jill said...

Lin! I love your blog! Everything is great!!! It is so fun to read about you. As you know, I just L.O.V.E. your quilts and am amazed at your talent! Adding this to my favorites!

judkajudi said...

I will try to leave a comment! Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not. Your blog is beautiful, Lin! Your quilts are exceptional. They will be cherished by generations. Love having met you!! Judy

Nancy said...

Oh my, those quilts are extraordinary, so meticulous (I can see where your card making is influenced by your amazing quilting talent). Love your fun folksy writing style, your blog will be a favorite destination for me.

stampingandstitching said...

Thanks Lin for sharing some of your gorgeous quilts with us. As you know I love your quilts and love your cards! Looking forward to seeing more of both.

Heather Maria

sideoats + scribbles said...

Hi Lin! Just saw your comment on the Hero blog and followed the link here -- I didn't know you had a blog! Thanks so much for sharing your quilt story, was a good read, and what beautiful quilts! And cards, too!

Hugs and happy blogging! :)
Lisa

Tracey said...

Lin!!! Your quilts are so GORGEOUS!!! Makes me want to pull out my fabrics again....I just need more hours in a day!

Chark said...

Really beautiful quilts--I'm in awe.

Lysa said...

Your quilts are amazing- thanks for sharing! & so glad you jumped into the blogging world! :)

judkajudi said...

Your quilts are breath taking, Lin!! But I am glad you stamp, too!