Tuesday, April 29, 2014

CASE-ing Melissa

Melissa Phillips had the MOST adorable card at Make It Monday, and I couldn't wait to give her technique, which she calls "paper scrap pie charts", a try!


I pulled out my big bag of scraps and started sorting out some pinks and greens until I had enough to make up a pie-chart.  I don't have any triangle dies, but I do have a Hero Arts Christmas tree stamp that fit the bill, so I stamped it on the reverse of each of my scraps and cut them out.  I used my Nesties scalloped rectangles and scalloped hearts dies and a Doodlebug dp for my background, along with this pink button, and another of Winnie & Walter's big bold words from their The Big, the Bold & the Happy (can you tell I REALLY love these stamps?) and stamped it in Simon's Doll Pink ink.  Put everything together, and THEN I remembered that we are supposed to include something from PTI - NUTS!

So once I had the technique under my belt, I went back again, and used PTI aqua mist design papers and their Beautiful Blooms II #1 die to make this monochromatic version.  The sentiment this time is from a Lil Inker designs set called Darling Diamonds, inked in Hero Arts Mint Julep.  Again, I used a button (thanks, Clare!) to cover the center seams - to me it goes along with the quilted look that this technique gives.  This is lots of fun to do; give it a try yourself!


28 comments:

LauraJane:) said...

VERY well done Lin! I especially like the flower pie chart! The colors and mix of papers are perfect.P.S. Thanks for the encouragement you left on my blog:)

joy said...

Gorgeous cards, Lin! I love the pink and green combo, but I also love the monochromatic just as much.

Robin K. said...

Oh my goodness Lin! I can see why you couldn't wait to try this technique!!! I looooove both of your cards!!!

Theresa's Studio said...

Just beautiful, Lin! Love both cards and what a great use of scraps. I will be trying this...thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Two beautiful cards.... but oh how I love the pink/green combo!

Barb said...

Love your cards, Lin! The pink and green one is so sweet - love those patterns! And your monochromatic card is just beautiful! Fab results using that technique!

Joyce said...

These are both just wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Lin, your cards are gorgeous! Love both of them, the colors and the stamp. The technique is worth a try. I am going to give it a try :D Thanks for the inspirations today!

Unknown said...

Both of your cards are gorgeous,so clean & crisp looking. Great way to use up paper scraps too & good idea to use your tree stamp for the triangle pieces. Beautiful!

stampingandstitching said...

Oh wow these are both gorgeous, Lin! Love your designs and the fab mix of colours and patterns! What a brilliant idea to use the Christmas tree stamp to make your triangles!

Tracey McNeely said...

Fantastic pie charts Lin and so fast! Love the patterned papers.

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

You cased her card perfectly and still managed to make them typical Lin cards - true TALENT!!!!
LOve them both!

Jackie said...

What a wonderful way to use up some scraps. Those are beautiful!

Pam W Merwin said...

Love these ;)

Marybeth said...

Oh my goodness Lin, these are fantastic! Oh so pretty and bright! Beautiful work!

Winnie & Walter said...

Yes, we can tell you like the stamps! LOL And, we are glad you do. Your cards are fabulous and we thank you for making our stamps shine! :)

Lisa Elton said...

DELIGHTFUL cards Lin, love them both!!

Virginia L. said...

You are a FAST learner! These two are beautifully done, Lin!

Greta said...

Your cards are wonderful, Lin! I need to watch the video & give it a try!

Dawn T said...

Beautiful cards Lin. Love the colours you chose.

Vikki H said...

lovely cards! this MIM and last have provided such great inspiration!

Kay D said...

Beautiful cards- I'm completely in love with the monochromatic blues!

Unknown said...

I love both of these cards & I am blown away by this technique - so simple but WOW I love it. Got to give it a go & so I shall enjoy rummaging in my box of oddments. Great idea, by the way, about stamping your Christmas Tree triangle stamp on the back

Helen F. said...

Two very pretty cards, Lin. I love the second one with the mint colored flower framed in white~beautiful!

Stella said...

Both cards are lovely but the second one with the aqua mist papers is my faovrite. Love what you created with that gorgeous flower die which is one of my faves:)

Patti said...

Both sensational cards!! I especially love the monochromatic tones in your second card : )

Patti

Sadie said...

Your cards are simple and so pretty. Such nice colors and your shapes appear quilted. This is one of my favourite challenges over at PTI.

Robin K. said...

Just wanted to let you know you inspired me Lin! You can see the result on my recent blog post:) Have a wonderful day!