Thursday, August 2, 2012

Signature Style?

There's an interesting challenge at CASE Study this week (and a wonderful 2nd Anniversary blog hop I encourage you to visit for amazing inspiration).  The challenge is to make a card showing off your signature style.  I like to dabble in lots of styles, but using these elements makes me happy: mixing patterned papers, the use of gingham and hearts, text, lace, buttons, pastels, and flowers.  I just got this new Carta Bella "Beautiful Moments" paper pad, and decided to start with it, and then try to bring in those elements.


supplies: white card base, Carta Bella "Beautiful Moments" paper pad, pink gingham from MME Lost and Found Two: Blush paper pad,  Hero Arts CG291 3 Dotted Flowers, VersaMark ink and Hero Arts white embossing powder, DieNamics large scallop, Martha Stewart doily punch, Hobby Lobby lace, Martha Stewart flower button, Heidi Grace heart stick pins

This is a layout I often use.  I chose the center panel because of the word "Joy" in it, which is my life's word (and there are some little birds there, too), and also because I like the way adding text breaks things up and gives a little more interest.  Then I chose 3 patterns for my flower, and constructed  it with foam squares in between each layer so that the layers showed up better.  The small gingham is the only pattern not in the paper pad.  The other papers were chosen to help bring in most of the colors in the central panel.  Using a stripe is another thing that I do often - it seems to look good with most any other pattern.  

So, what is my style?  I liked the way Nina Brackett described her style: Simple Shabby.  I think I'll go with that, at least for today!

I am also entering this into A Blog Named Hero's challenge: Freestyle this week.

25 comments:

MarcyK924 said...

Oh Lin - this is all SO you! From the layout, to the color palette, to your signature flower, oh and the gingham - this is GORJUS!! You give us all so much joy with your creations, I can see why you love that word! Simple Shabby is perfect to describe your style! Hugs, Marcy

Colleen Dietrich said...

This is beautiful, Lin! I admire your work so much that I've semi-CASE'd you today. :) You are so inspiring!

Annette Allen said...

wow very pretty...love all the layers and that lace is gorgeous...

Tracey said...

I LOVE this card with all the patterned papers, flowers and hearts!!! I think that is my style too Lin :)

LauraJane:) said...

SO LOVLEY Lin!
Happy little pins too!

Mary Dawn said...

sweet, sweet card...i can pick your cards out of a line-up, and that's not a bad thing :) thanks for playing along with our challenge #9 at A Blog Named Hero

Pam W Merwin said...

Beautiful, Lin! It is so YOU :) When I think of you, I think of blue gingham,flowers, ribbons and lace.

Ann Greenspan's Crafts said...

Lin, I love seeing you use this flower on your cards.....it has become my favorite flower to use now. I can never seem to get the colors right or get it to have as much dimension as you give it, but I love watching your blog every day with anticipation, waiting to see what you will come up with next. Thank you for all the detail in your blog. I need to find some of those Martha Stewart flower buttons!

Barb said...

Lin, this all came together so beautifully - and it really is totally YOU! So glad you entered it into the challenge at ABNH! :)

judkajudi said...

This is a Lin card for sure!! And beautiful as they always are. You have a talent for mixing patterns and colors, which I know you did with fabric in your quilting days!!

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

So gorgeous, Lin!! I love the look of white embossed flowers... happy sigh. You just gave me an idea for the next week's challenge! Thanks for playing along!

Mona Pendleton said...

Stunning card Lin! That blossom is gorgeous and love the pretty patterned paper!

Cindy C. said...

Yup it's your style alright! Stunning card Lin!

MaryH said...

I LIKE your style. Beautiful card, all elements go very well together...easy on the eye. TFS

Kath Stewart said...

beautiful beautiful beautiful lin...that gorgeous flower has set my heart racing...hugs kath xxx

Maureen Morton said...

Another gem, Lin - you do such great things with this flower! And these yummy layers and great mix of patterns. Not sure your style needs a tag, other than AMAZING! Love it and you for all you do to inspire and share. Thanks!

Wee Von said...

what a beautiful card Linn. I love that style. Looks full of love and happiness!

Virginia L. said...

This truly is a gorgeous Lin-styled card! Love the elements that you used as they are always so beautiful together!For all the time that I got to know you, this card truly represents you so fabulously! WELL DONE, big sis!

Brenda said...

No matter what you want to call your style I just love it! Love the colours and papers you used, you made a really pretty card!

Suzanne Russell said...

Simple Shabby? I like it! and very descriptive too of this wonderful card! thanks for sharing the inspiration-again!

Maureen said...

just beautiful! LOVE the word joy too and "blessed." Thanks so much for playing with us during our CASE Study anniversary celebration!

Dawn T said...

Beautifully YOU Lin... great card. Simple Shabby covers it perfectly

sue t. said...

Lin-
I always love looking at your blog and have it bookmark. You have a definite style.

Michelle said...

Oh wow! That HA flower stamp is definitely your signature!!! I love it, Lin!!!!

Godelieve said...

Gorgeous card Lin! The layered flower looks great, and I love the heart pins!