I had a good look at Jocelyn's blog, and noticed several things: that she uses lots of white space and that she often dry-embosses her backing panel. I also noticed that she uses bits of doilies on her projects, which I really like and decided to adopt. So I decided to choose a card of hers to CASE and put my own spin on it, as Taheerah suggests. I found a card HERE that I really liked: and went about finding my own elements to CASE that design.
I knew I'd use a bit of a paper doily, and I decided to emboss my background in a woodgrain pattern (Tim Holtz embossing folder). I like the idea of rough and dainty against each other. Then I went looking for a flower (Hero Arts Lauderdale Floral) large enough and with enough detail so that I could heat emboss it on vellum using an aqua embossing powder. Next I made my own little polaroid frame and covered a corner with some washi to bring in a bit more color and make it stand out from all the whiteness. I attached my vellum flower and stamped my Winnie & Walter sentiment (Big, Bold Friends), and then assembled everything and popped the frame up on adhesive squares. Lots of Jocelyn's designs show splatters of paint on the background at this point, but I wasn't that brave, so I added my own little bit of color with some tiny aqua pearls and a bigger one in the center of the flower. And lastly I die-cut some leaves (Essentials by Ellen Bold Blossoms) and added them to the mix. And to finish I mounted the whole panel on a backing of bias-striped design paper (Echo Park's Bundle of Joy Boy Dots & Stripes).
This was a very fun exercise and a good stretch for me - thank you Taheerah, and thank you, Jocelyn, for your inspiration!