Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Dawn's Color Challenge

Dawn McVey (@dawnsing on IG") issued us a color challenge earlier this week.  She is known for her love of color, a trait we have in common.  This is a challenge for me, indeed, as I generally stick to more pastel colors and Dawn's colors are always bright.  She gave us 5 colors to work with, and I managed to get them all onto this card.  She uses red and hot pink together all the time, and that was the hardest for me.  Here's what I came up with.


supplies: white cardstock, dps from Sunny Studio Rainbow Bright and a couple of their Gingham paper pads, My Favorite Things Stitched Flowers dies, leaf die from a Hero Arts January card kit, and stamped sentiment from (retired) Hero Arts Heartfelt Wishes set, Doodlebug sprinkles

To make things a little easier on myself I decided to CASE one of my own cards from years ago.  These Sunny Studio dps had the closest tones to Dawn's colors.  

I think I managed to make them work together - I used a trick I learned from quilting: if you use a color at least 3 times, and spread it out over the surface, it will usually work.  This was a fun challenge, thank you, Dawn!

Edited to add:

Some of the entries to Dawn's challenge were other vignettes like she originally posted, and it was interesting to see what people pulled together using her colors.  So I decided to try my own.


I did a walk through our house (and basement) looking for things in her colors.  I have collected Teddies forever - this is a cherished one that I inherited from a friend's Mom.  At one time I collected tins, mostly reproductions, but that coffee one is the real thing, found in Maine, I believe.  I added my Winnie-the-Pooh books, some paper flowers that I made in Dawn's colors, and a heart pincushion made from felt, lace, and buttons that I made years ago (I collect hearts, too!)  And to pull in more of Dawn's pink, I threw in some spools of thread and some buttons, as a representation of all the needlework I've loved doing down through the years.

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card. Love the design and pretty flowers. You made the colors work so well together. I also loved your original card with this design. TFS

Lisa Elton said...

You've done her proud Lin! This is vibrant and full of FUN!

kiwimeskreations said...

WOW - loving the vibrant colours Lin, and a great layout too. A fabulous cards
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine