Monday, April 13, 2020

Flourished Fretwork

Spellbinders generously shared 2 sets of Becca Feeken's newest die designs that she calls Flourished Fretwork, and today I'm sharing some cards that I made with them. Becca does intricate dies like noone else!

This first die set is called Richelieu Square.  Looking at the design, I thought of a kaleidoscope, and so I chose 2 of the 6 dies and some jewel-tone cardstock for this first card.


supplies: black, 2 pinks, 3 purples, and 2 turquoise cardstock, Richelieu Square dies

Starting with a 4" square black panel, I first cut out the square design, then the circle inside it.  I did the same for all of the other colors.  I attached wide packing tape to the reverse of the black panel, and then inlaid the other colors into it.  When I was finished I framed it with the lighter of the turquoise colors and attached it to a 4 1/4" square card base.

Now I think it looks more like a quilt, and I love how the black makes all the colors pop, kind of like a modern Amish quilt!  This card took me all day to put together, but I must say that it was just what I needed, considering the state of things right now.  It was very therapeutic.

I used the square detailed die once again for the next card, adding in an outer border, which is also included in the set.  This card is a really simple design in just 2 colors, pink and grey, and you can see how different it looks from my first card.


supplies: Cotton Candy and Slate cardstock, Richelieu Square dies, and a birthday die sentiment, adhesive foam

With the added border, this card measures out to 4 3/4" on each side. The sentiment die I used is part of a past Small Die of the Month set, and it fits perfectly inside the space in the center!  I love when that happens!

My next 2 cards feature the Oval Coronet dies; I changed up to pastels for this first one.


supplies: white, black, green, blue, lavendar, pink, and yellow cardstock, Oval Coronet dies, Rose Creations flowers and leaves, enamel dots to match

Once again, I used only the ornate dies from the set to cut from a white panel.  There is a plain oval die in this set, which I used to cut a blue oval for behind the central design, then I mounted the white panel onto a green card and added my flowers and sentiment.

And my final card, using just the inner ovals to show off their design.


supplies: white, Surf Blue, Audrey Blue, Lavender, purple, Green Apple, and Green Leaf cardstock, Oval Coronet dies

After cutting the detailed oval, I affixed the trimmed panel to a Surf Blue A2 card, then cut it again in the other colors and inlaid them back into the design, allowing some of the paler blue backing to show through around the edges.  The design is so symmetrical that I decided to wait for a sentiment until I have a use for this card.

Many thanks to Spellbinders for allowing me to play with these new dies!

3 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fabulous quartet of cards with those dies, Lin!! Wow - those inlaid ones must've taken forever but well worth the effort!! My fave is the hello friend card with the flowers - thanks for a bit of spring!!

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow - what amazing dies ans stunning cards Lin - I agree that the first one looks like a quilt, but the second really does look like Richelieu work. Love it in the pink and grey!
The second pair are also gorgeous cards - well done!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Lisa Elton said...

These are all marvelous Lin! Love the pink and gray card!