Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Simon Says.........Knock on Wood!


Happy Wednesday - welcome to our weekly challenge at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!



Our theme this week is "Knock on Wood!" - use anything that looks like wood or is wood-related: embossing folder, patterned woodgrain paper, wood embellishments, or stamps. We are highlighting Tim Holtz products today, a perfect match for this challenge!  I had such fun with this one - I made 3 cards!

For my first card I used Tim's Lumber 3D texture fade for my background, and some wildflower dies as my focal point.  


supplies: kraft and white cardstock, Lumber 3D embossing folder, vintage photo distress ink, Wildflowers dies, sponged with distress oxide inks, Small Talk sentiment sticker, twine

After embossing the woodgrain into my kraft paper, I swiped a vintage photo ink pad along the top lightly to bring out the woodgrain details.  That panel was then trimmed a bit, darkening all the edges before attaching to the card base of the same kraft.  Then I cut out the wildflowers from white cardstock and used a tiny blender brush and oxide inks to color each one.  I used some Press and Seal to hold my arrangement together until I could add some glue dots to the back of it, then attached it to my card, allowing the tops of the flowers to stand out a bit.  Next came the sticker sentiment, and finally a twine bow.

For my 2nd card, I started with a wood plank paper, and inspired by Michele, I stencilled over it with oxide inks before framing it up.  


supplies: fog, smoke, and worn lipstick cardstock, woodgrain plank dp from SN@P Wood & Notebook Basics paper pad, Floral Layering stencil, worn lipstick and cracked pistachio, with touches of abandoned coral, mustard seed, and evergreen bough distress oxide inks, small blender brushes, Simon Sketched Flowers sentiment, a Winnie & Walter Audrey Cutaways rectangle die

As you may know, the Simon Says Stamp store is accepting new orders, but will have longer shipping times, due to the Covid-19 pandemic.  With this in mind, we have made the difficult decision to suspend our prize gift cards for now.  But we will continue our challenges each week, and we'd love for you to play along with us.  We're all in this together!

6 comments:

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous cards Lin :-) the bouquet of wildflowers is so pretty with the woodgrain background and I love the stencilled wood panel too, absolutey stunning! :-)

Hope you have a good week
Stay Safe!
luv
Lols x x x

Christine said...

I love the shading of the Lumber panel. I have that EF, but struggle to get the colors right. I will try Vintage Photo, because your card looks wonderful. I bet those wildflowers were fun to color, and they look great against the wood panel! TFS and take care!

Lisa Elton said...

Two lovely florals Lin!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a fabulous pair of cards Lin - loving the die cut wild flowers, they are gorgeous
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

I Card Everyone said...

If I had any part in you making this lovely card, you have certainly honored me, Lin!! Considering YOU inspired ME to try it the first go around, I'd say we make a pretty good team!
It's that life-like wooden panel that I'm oohing over today! Gosh, it looks so real! So perfect as a backdrop for your wild flowers!
=]

JoAnn said...

Two beautiful cards. Love the gray one with the stenciled flowers The kraft card with the wildflowers is lovely also. The woodgrain really stands out after you inked it. TFS