Thursday, February 17, 2011

Framed spring


There are several challenges going on (PTI and Penny Black) to use vellum, but I don't have the right stamps to enter there, so I have just been playing with what I have. I stamped the frame on vellum and centered the Cherry Blossom Bird inside it, clear embossing both images. Then I turned the vellum over and used my watercolor pencils to color in the details. When you turn it back over again, it gives a kind of stained-glass look. Then I trimmed the frame around the first rectangle, cutting out the fancy work.

Next I stamped the clouds background in blue on a piece of white cardstock and overstamped the frame in black, and trimmed it out the same way. This was then glued behind the vellum image, using tiny dots of glossy accents at the corners and the middle of each side, under the black stamping.

And lastly I stamped and clear embossed the frame again on a plain white card, then glued the above panel to the inside of the frame. The nest was stamped on white cardstock, watercolored, and cut out, then popped at the corner of the frame. I couldn't resist adding little pink pearl hearts over the hearts on the frame.

Here's a closer look; hopefully you can see the effect of the vellum colored on the reverse side:


supplies: white cardstock, vellum, Hero Arts S5324 Single Frame, S5215 Clouds, Stampabilities KR1061 Cherry Blossom Bird, Inkadinkado97104 (nest), Versafine onyx black ink and clear embossing powder, faded jeans distress ink (clouds), colored pencils, pink pearls

17 comments:

stampingandstitching said...

Wonderful card, Lin! I love your design and all the great details! Brilliant combination of stamps and I love the fantastic effect of colouring on the reverse side of the vellum!

Tanya said...

Lin, this is beautiful, love the frame with the bird and nest it is colored perfectly!

Nat said...

Hi Lin, I love the added hearts on your card and the clouds in the background. its the perfect setting for this sweet bird :) have a great day!

Isha Gupta said...

Gorgeous card Lin. Love how you colored the Vellum.

Barb said...

So beautiful, Lin! I've been visiting Kathy and the Penny Black blog, getting inspired to color on vellum. . .hoping to have time to try it today. Thanks for explaining the way you've colored your images. . .This card inspires me too!

Paru Mahtani said...

gorgeous card! Lovely technique...you are inspiring me to try it!

Kathy said...

Holly molly this is stunning, amazing and sooooo beautiful my friend. Love, love , love this. Hugs, Kathy

Robin K. said...

Wow Lin! This came together soooooo beautifully! These stamps are a match made in heaven!

joy said...

Such a lot of work put into this card, Lin, with amazing results!

Have fun with your family this weekend!

Anita Rex said...

Oh I love the way it looks on the vellum! So pretty!

Nancy said...

Fabulous job on this wonderful design...love it!
I love your new Spring blog decor too!
blessings~

donna mikasa said...

This is stunning, Lin! I love the depth that comes from stamping on vellum....just beautiful!

Sue McRae said...

Love this little scene inside that frame, so pretty!

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous effect. Lovely bird and blossoms over the clouds.

Anne Gaal said...

Hi, Lin! This is stunning! Love it! :-)

Joy said...

Love this card Lin, so soft and pretty!

Patty said...

Beautiful Lin! The bird looks so realistic!