Wednesday, October 27, 2010

from 1918


Jessie Wilcox Smith, born in 1863, was an artist who often illustrated for Good Housekeeping magazine.  I know her for her lovely images of children, and have several books containing her work.  This was a vintage image from the year 1918 that I found online.  I framed it with a doily, adding a paper flower and a frilly bow to mimic the little girl's dress; she reminds me so much of my sister Nancy.  This is another entry for Betsy Veldman's Vintage Findings challenge.  In case you haven't noticed, I'm really enjoying this!

Supplies: Hero Arts carnation layering paper, CG119 Flourish Background, CL129 Anytime Messages, CG148 Blossoms (leaves), worn lipstick, peeled paint, and versafine onyx black inks, doily, Hobby Lobby ribbon, BoBunny flamingo dot cardstock (for flower)

15 comments:

Nancy said...

This style is so right up your alley, Lin! Every embellishment totally enhances that charming illustration....gorgeous work!
bless you!

cheryl said...

oh really love what you have done with that beautiful image,really amazing,hugs cheryl xxx

Virginia L. said...

Wow! Lin! Gorgeous vintage card! I guess you are having TONS of fun with this challenge ;) So fabulous!

Jill said...

SOOOOO sweet, Lin! I love this soft, delicate card! The pinks are perfect with that image. As always, I'm so impressed by your creativity, my friend! HUGS!

Barb said...

What a beautiful image! This challenge is so you, Lin! Love that you placed the sweet image on the doily and your flower and bow are just perfect!

Alice said...

such a sweet card, Lin! love the flower and the doily. wonderful work!

Dawn T said...

And you are really good at it too.... This type of card is very you Lin, Adorable as usual. Your flower is stunning and finishes it off perfectly

Suzanne C said...

and we are enjoying the fruits of your labor. Love what you have been doing with the vintage images. They are so sweet. It inspired me to pull mine out but nothing so far. :) Love this card too and using the doily as a frame is beautiful.

Kryssi said...

oh wow, i love all the vintage goodness you incorporated into this beautifully shabby chic card.

Jane said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! LOVE that illustration!

Ayana Posadas said...

Beautiful card, Lin!
I just love the dimension and the doily in the background.

Sanne said...

How beautiful Linn - lovely soft colors :)

Tiffany Ervin said...

Beautiful and such a touching photo! I'm loving seeing vintage from you - especially in these light and airy colors!

Jacqueline said...

Such a sweet image and you framed it perfectly!

Betsy V said...

Lin, this is another beautiful card! I love that image!

Paper Crafts Go-to Gal
Betsy Veldman