Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Vintage Findings

Betsy Veldman has been having a week of showing off some of her creations using her wonderful collections of vintage items.  This post really grabbed my interest, as I'm a collector of children's books, also.  I decided to use a scanned image from The Bumper Book, published in 1946.  Growing up it was a favorite of my sisters and me, and when I had our boys, I was able to find a newer copy of it from 1969.  As you can see, it's a little worse for wear, but I still treasure it.


According to the frontspiece, all of the illustrations are done by Eulalie.  No last name.  Being the pastel girl that I am, I was drawn to the illustrations for the poem "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod" by Eugene Field.  Several pages of the book were devoted to it, and here is part of the page and image that I scanned:


 And here is my card. 


I used paper and a rub-on from Little Yellow Bicycle's Snugglebug Boy collection, a fat dotted grosgrain ribbon just received from Kath in Scotland, and these assorted buttons.  Some of them are vintage, I'm sure, as I also have my mother-in-law's button box. 

Thank you, Betsy, I had such fun making this card and remembering.  I see more coming!

18 comments:

Tiffany Ervin said...

Aww..this is very sweet indeed, such a warm and nostalgic feeling, love it!

Suzanne C said...

I am a big fan of vintage illustrations too! Lin this is wonderful! Love what you did with this and such a sweet card!

Sarah J Moerman said...

Such a sweet card, Lin! Thanks for sharing your memories too. :)

CinnamonSally said...

I love this vintage card Lin, reminds me of my childhood, so cute!!

Nancy said...

Brilliant card, Lin!! I adore that illustration and the lovely way you enhanced it!
blessings!

Jane said...

Adorable card!!! LOVE it!

katemade designs said...

SO BEAUTIFUL. I LOVE THAT POEM TOO. ONE OF MY FAVORITES FROM WHEN I WAS A KID. THE BUTTONS ARE WONDERFUL TOO. TFTI (THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION)

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Oh I am so glad you scanned the image! When I just looked at the photos my heart did a 'thump'. Gorgeous gorgeous book! Keep it intact!
And the card, is precious!

BethW said...

This is just awesome-you did a super fantastic job!

Angela Fehr said...

This is so cute! I am always too lazy to scan in book images but this is just adorable!

Dawn T said...

awesome Lin. such a pretty card. The illustration is so soft looking

donna mikasa said...

Sweeeet! What a wonderful baby card! You've got a treasure of a book with such sweet images!

Anonymous said...

This is adorable, Lin. I love the whole idea and that the book was not cut.

Do you sign your cards on the back? I am making lots of cards for the winter holidays and I want to stamp them on the back and sign. I wonder what you do with yours. Maria

Virginia L. said...

Wow! How adorable!! I adore the colors and buttons! Perfect vintage cute card!!

Alice said...

very sweet image. lovely card!

Karin Åkesdotter said...

Wow! What a sweet card! Love it!

Kathy Martin said...

Very cute! Love that image! :)

Betsy V said...

Lin, this is such a sweet card...that image is just precious! Thanks so much for playing along!

Paper Crafts Go-to Gal
Betsy Veldman