Sunday, January 26, 2014

Stenciled Day 3


Today in class we got into using embossing pastes, and we learned about all the different mediums we can use to add to stencils to give dimension to our cards.  Debby's card today was worth the price of admission - it is a perfect example of her delicate style.  Of course I had to CASE it!


As Debby did, I first sprayed my cardstock panel with a pink spray, let it dry, then applied modeling paste through my stencil of choice, Mini Harlequin.  And in so doing, found out what the difference between embossing paste and modeling paste is.  My modeling paste took on the color of the spray behind it.  Debby's embossing paste stayed white.  But I persevered.......I used a die to cut out 2 sprays of leaves and popped them above the embossed panel.  Then I added my Leanna butterfly die and some pink and white pearls.  My sentiment is from a Simon exclusive stamp set, Happy Every Day, embossed in white on black.

While I had all the equipment out, I decided to do a take 2:


Same stencil, no spray, same butterfly, but this time I stamped an old favorite Hero Arts leaf spray on vellum using bundled sage distress ink, and cut it out.  I wanted a pale, pale green, and this is exactly how I imagined it! The sentiment from Simon's Like Your Style was again white embossed, this time on a scrap of Tim Holtz bundled sage distress cardstock, and I added pink and sage pearls, one of them a heart pearl, on the butterfly body.  Of my 2 cards, this is the one that I prefer - what about you?  

Thanks for stopping today!  I think this will be it for me today - I'm losing my light here.......

27 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Lin, I love both of your cards. The vellum leaves look fantastic, so soft. Love the heart on the butterfly too, Cathy x

Lainie said...

Your cards both turned out beautiful!

Virginia L. said...

Love all the details and elements! The textured background is so pretty, Lin! You rock with the modeling paste!!

Bonnie said...

These are both gorgeous, Lin, but I think I prefer the second one too! The delicate leaves give it a dreamy quality!

CinnamonSally said...

This is so pretty Lin!

adele holcomb said...

Both your cards are stunning and I couldn't pick a favorite!

I had SO much trouble with this card today and finally set it aside to ponder a solution later. On my first try, I had bleed-through too, although I did use embossing paste. The 2nd time was a little better when I put it on a little thicker.

Kara said...

beautiful soft look!

LaVon Hall said...

So beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

These are so beautiful and elegant. I just loved this technique.

Betty said...

your cards are just as gorgeous as Debby's!!

Laura Norris said...

Lin - both cards are beautiful!! A perfect case of Debby's wonderful card! And I kinda like the pink showing up in the modeling paste.

Sue McRae said...

Oh, I just love how these turned out Lin! So pretty and feminine.

Tenia Nelson said...

These cards are AWESOME!!!

Barb said...

You definitely get an A+ for your homework today, Lin! Gorgeous cards! I really love your idea to softly ink the vellum leaves - just beautiful! ♥

Pam said...

Love your gorgeous cards!

Barb Ghig said...

Both cards are really gorgeous, Lin! So elegant, and feminine...WOW! Barb is right...you get an A+!!!

Arlene said...

Both cards are just beautiful. So feminine and lovely.

Cat Craig said...

Both cards are wonderful examples of today's lesson. I do prefer the second as well only because it seems more delicate. Both are stunners!

Sarah G said...

Both cards are beautiful - they are a great take on Debby's design. I love the pop of black with all the pinks and whites!

Dawn T said...

WOW Lin... you've made two amazing cards, That's a neat stencil and works perfectly with this technique. I must see what I've got to do this.

Robin K. said...

Gosh Lin! They're both really beautiful! But there's just something about the second one- so delicate!!

Kristie Goulet said...

Both of these are beautiful, Lin!!! So pretty and I think I will be CASEing you if you don't mind. :)

Jackie said...

I like the paste taking on the color of the spray, it's very soft and subtle. I love the other card, too. All white with just a few pops of soft color is gorgeous.

Sharon Underwood said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! I mean, REALLY! Love that pink butterfly, love the stenciled effect, love it all!

calamity jane said...

Lin both of your cards are just stunning!!! I've never used embossing or modeling paste but after seeing these beauties I'm off to buy some! I must CASE this! Thank you so much for sharing!

Brenda said...

I just had to Pin your pink version! Gorgeous!

jintyoo7 said...

Wow - for both "take one and two" :)