Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I've been playing

I needed to make a long overdue thank you card, and was also inspired by Jayne's card recently where she embossed on watercolor paper, watercolored the background, and then ironed off the embossing.  I had never tried that - turns out, it's fun!  Here's what resulted, using two of the 2015 distress ink colors:


supplies: Hero Arts Carbonated cling background stamp, little panel from their Striped Note cling, abandoned coral and fossilized amber distress inks watercolored over the embossing, Thanks Stamp & Cut, and Simon's Leanna butterfly die with Paper Sweeties flower sequins in the center

I was so excited to try this ironing technique that I didn't use my anti-static powder, and you can see that it's not a perfect impression due to the embossing powder sticking where it shouldn't be.  So I decided to do it again, and take more time this time.  I also wanted a more even balance of the 2 colors:



supplies: same Hero Arts background stamps as above, but with the addition of 2 of my favorite flowers (Stitched Frame and Layered Flowers) from them, centered with Simon's crystal sequins

Much better.  And finally I thought I'd make a card using the whole Striped Note background, same technique, same distress inks:



supplies: Hero Arts Striped Note cling background stamp, Hello Stamp & Cut, Simon's Leanna butterfly die again, cut from Hero Arts Mandarin layering paper

Thanks for visiting today!

11 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

You've learnt a new technique and now there's not stopping you! gorgeous cards, Jo x

Cindy C. said...

You have been playing! :)) These cards are gorgeous Lin!! Wow!

Betty said...

love those colors you used - all are so pretty - had quite forgotten that technique - must try it again as it has such neat effects!

Maureen Morton said...

What beauties, Lin! I love the sound of this technique, but now that I'm retired, my iron is too! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa Elton said...

I love the soft citrusy colors on these Lin, they're all so pretty!

Cat Craig said...

Fabulous cards, great colors, love how the white looks against them.

Deb Walker Deb Stamps Life, LLC said...

I've been wanting to try this too Lin! It's fun that Jayne inspired you, and this is a lovely summer series.

joy said...

I recognize that background!! Love your cards; the second one is my favorite!

Unknown said...

I follow your blog almost every day. I enjoy looking at your beautiful cards! Thank you for all of the great inspiration!

Tenia Nelson said...

Gorgeous cards!!

Becca Cruger said...

Haha - this is where our big aesthetic differences come in. I adore the grungy almost distressed feel of the first one where you didn't use the static cling thingy. Gonna have to try that. This is a really great collection of cards!