Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Simon Says.........Furry Friends!

wed-newchallenge-header

It's Wednesday and that means a brand new challenge at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge blog!


This week our theme is Furry Friends.  I can't wait to see the gallery fill up with your fun creations!.  The design team are showcasing Newton's Nook products this week.  If you have any of their fun products, we'd love to see them, but they're not necessarry to enter, as long as you follow our theme.

In our married life my husband and I have only owned 1 dog, a lab mix named Brandy.  We got him from the pound as a puppy after our youngest son wrote an essay in school saying how much he wanted a dog, and that we wouldn't allow him to have one - smart boy!.  Brandy, of course, became my dog, and he was with us for 16 years.  He was a character!  I still miss him!

So when I saw the new stamp set from Newton's Nook called Fetching Friendship, it went straight into my shopping cart!  Whoever the artist was for this set, she surely captured the expressions that I remember so well!  I chose 2 of the 3 images and made cards with them for this challenge.  This first one is a portrait of our Brandy.


supplies: Newton's Nook Fetching Friendship stamp set, colored with colored pencils and a blue marker, all Spectrum Noir, Simon's Stitched Rectangles dies, Doodlebug heart paper, Simon's Lipstick Red ink to stamp the heart

This is what Brandy would do when he wanted something from me: come and sit down and stare at me until I noticed him.  He could bark up a storm when a stranger entered the house, but we never were able to teach him to bark when he wanted our attention.  Here I tried to color him as I remember him; it took me several tries with many mediums, but these colored pencils finally did the trick.  Isn't this sentiment perfect to go with it?

The other thing I remember about him is that when you'd be talking to him, he'd tilt his head; such an endearing habit.  I also think this sentiment is so cute, and I was able to show you the party hat, gifts, and paw-prints, too, on this next card.  There are also a bone, a ball, and 3 other sentiments in this set!


supplies: Newton's Nook Fetching Friendship, a variety of washi tapes, VersaFine onyx black and vintage sepia inks, a red marker to color details

On this one, I stamped him on a light kraft cardstock, and then just lightly used the same colored pencil as above to do some detailing, then cut him out and popped him above the rest of the card.

Now it's your turn!  Heidi has yet again provided another $50.00 gift voucher

50dollar_voucher_600px
to the amazing Simon Says Stamp store for 1 lucky random winner of this week's challenge!

Simon Says Stamp

Do you use Instagram?  If you do, we'd love you to add #ssswchallenge to your challenge entry uploads so we can see them on there, too! 

15 comments:

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous cards Lin :-) such cute images and I love the story behind them, a dog really does become one of the family, we always miss them when they are gone and we never forget them. It is lovely that you put so much of him in these cards :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Jingle said...

These are both super sweet!!!

Dotty Jo said...

Sweet cards! Jo x

Virginia L. said...

These two cards are LOVELY!! I didn't know that you had a dog! As far as pet goes, we had finches and gold fish...and that's it. (S. and I are both allergic to cats and dogs!!) The guys love the cats (D. loves dogs, too), so they have to be content with playing with our friends' pets when visiting.

Heather said...

Both fabulous cards Lin, I love the design and colours on the first with the beautiful faithful expression on the 'pup's' face - the second one just looks so sad and wistful. The artist really has captured dogs !!!

hugs
Heather xx

Mandy said...

Gorgeous cards Lin! I love those little paw prints, the images are both adorable & you are so right those the expressions are so true to life
hugs
Mandy xx

Tenia Nelson said...

Super fun cards!!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Awww - darling doggie cards, Lin - thanks for sharing your memories of Brandy!

Lisa Elton said...

Brandy sounds very special and these cards are an adorable tribute to your furry friend! VERY cute Lin!!

Gayatri said...

Adorable cards, Lin! Love them both.
Hugs!
Gayatri

Jo Nevill said...

Gorgeous cards Lin, love your mix of washi tapes !

Melissa Bove said...

Adorable cards Lin!! The washi tape one is so fun!! Great design!

hugs...

Stephanie said...

Adorable cards! Loving the sentiments!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Jennifer Jackson said...

Hello Lin! Your cards are so adorable! I love the simplicity of the first one with the little heart paper. The second is my favorite - I just love all those fun patterns behind the pup! Such a fun layout! The coloring is so good on both of them too! I just also wanted to say I'm flattered that you think the illustrations capture the dogs expressions perfectly - since I'm the illustrator of them - thank you so much for the wonderful compliment! -Jen (Newton's Nook Designs)

Caryn said...

Cute cards Lin - love the paw prints, so adorable.